Pay rates for teachers in Australia
Pay rates for classroom teachers in Australia vary from state to state. Each state has its own pay scale and teachers progress up the scale with years of experience. Overseas trained teachers coming to Australia will need to have their qualifications and experience assessed by the relevant State Education body to decide what point on the pay scale they will start on.
- Starting salaries for graduate teachers with 4 years of tertiary training range from $45,000 - $55,000.
- The top of pay scales for experienced classroom teachers is around $78,000 - $85,000.
- Daily pay rates for casual teachers range from $200 - $350 per day.
- Salaries for HODs, Principals and Deputies range from $80,000 - $150,000
- A table comparing salaries across the different states can be found at the Australian Education Union website.
Current salary information for government schools can be found on the websites of each state:
Catholic and Independent schools have their own salary scales.